Tuesday 4 January 2011

Hurt

Hurt is a song by Nine Inch Nails (NIN) NOT Johnny Cash. Cash's version is amazing, powerful stuff, but it was not his song. It narks me that people never know this, Trent Reznor doesn't get half the credit he deserves sometimes.
That said, I love the Cash version too. I am, not entirely secretly, a big Cash fan, ever since my dad played an old album back when I was 10 in my Granma's back garden. (I heard some stuff that even to this day I like in that garden. Practically none of which the world knows I would happily listen to.) Anyways, the Cash version is great, and was a great way to sign off. I challenge any of you to listen (and by that I mean, actually sit down, take time out from every thing to LISTEN to the song and ignore everything else - Headphones will help) and not be moved in any way. If you are living, this is impossible. Anyways, I always thought Reznor hated Cash doing his song, but the point of this was post was that today, I came across this gem...

When Rick Rubin (Producer) asked if Cash could cover his song, Reznor said he was "flattered" but worried that "the idea sounded a bit gimmicky." He became a fan of Cash's version, however, once he saw the music video.
"I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore… It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure."

That, is pretty much what I aim to say in this blog over time, it's about, the music, the power of music, the feelings that get attached to it. All off that.

(by the way, I have an awesome Rock covers list on Media Player, once it's a bit fuller, I will post it here, there are some real gems on there, and some quite prolific coverers, some quite unexpected.) For now though, you should all go listen to Hurt, try not to cry, then proceed however you feel you should with your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment