Monday 3 March 2014

What gets me up in the morning.

It's 7am.
It's cold, dark, wet, hell, it's England.
I've got to be at work in an hour.
It takes me time to wake up.

I think a little lift in the morning can be enough to kick start any day. Just that little glimpse of something bigger, something better, some high point with good memories, a hint of possibility.

Some people ask how I get up in the morning. I don't know if this a smite on the futility of my existence, or a serious question about why I'm mostly so happy at 8am when customers are dropping off cars, half asleep as we're all on the third barrage of insults between each other for the day...(we're a real caring bunch of p***takers)...
The answer is my alarm. No, not in a sarcastic way, my alarm, every weekday morning, without fail, is one version, of one song. It's not the greatest song ever. It's not the greatest song by this band. By a long shot. But, it's an epic front-man performance, with a killer band, I've seen this band live, they put more energy into every song than you (read, boyband) could possibly imagine, every song is played with passion and emotion, and they really, really, want you to join in and have a great time.
Everyone who's heard this as my alarm hates it. Because they don't get it. I may only let a second or two play, but the rest of the song, the energy, the passion, the 'just goddamn join in' of it all, plays on in my head longer than it ever really has right to.
There are other versions of this song, but this is mine, (favourite) there are many *quite* like it, but none the same.

It's Machine Head. It's from Hellalive. It is Old. And for me, it's all about Robb Flynn getting the crowd going, at the beginning, in the middle, oh especially the breakdown, I can see 1500 sweaty long haired kids at Brixton Academy in 2003 doing exactly as the man says, and if I'm all alone, in my room, I join in. I look like Animal from The Muppets. Because as the man says "I F***ing Love It."

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you what gets me up in the morning. Machine Head - Old, from the Hellalive album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE02aEAF_TU

No comments:

Post a Comment