Friday 18 October 2013

When you just need to get stuff done...

...Chevelle - Wonder What's Next.

I, like most people I think, have a few 'go to' albums. Certain albums, for certain purposes. I must admit I like it when people don't know of them, and this is one of those. It is not the best written or produced album in the world. (For my money, Zebrahead's Playmate of the Year album has great production value.) But, it does have those moments that I crave. And, it has a feeling, a very defined stance. Nothing on this album is super fast with heart racing BPMs, it is a plodder. It is solid. Each beat in each song will smash the cavity of your chest with unrelenting ferocity. If you need to be doing something, and you're not too enthused about doing it, this album will kick you every step of the way home. It is a heavy album, and I don't mean thrash/wailing guitars and <insert any type here>core vocals. I mean it feels weighty, the bass tones are big in the mix, all the strung instruments are tuned down at least 1 step, mostly distorted, but more with crunch than fuzz. Pete Loeffler's voice is clear throughout a high percentage of the album, but with plenty of massively controlled fry, to a level on a par maybe even with Benjamin Burnley.

I first came across the band somewhere between some music channel (possibly Kerrang!) and the Daredevil soundtrack. (I own very few soundtracks, maybe 5? But Daredevil is so much better than the film, it was a definite purchase.) The music video was for "The Red" off of this album, set in an anger management session, video here, and Until You're Reformed from Daredevil. The Red is a great video, for a good song, it makes the experience complete. I then, as you do, aquired a digital copy of the album and immersed myself in the head pounding thumps of it. Family System starts it all off, and almost starts with a call to all to listen, and listen close, before clapping you round the ears for the next 53 odd minutes. I recently found out the band is from a Chicago suburb, which just made me fall in love with the album a little more, as 1) Chicago is one of my favourite cities, and 2) When I finally bought a CD copy of the album it was in a Best Buy on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. It just caps an amazing memory of an amazing time.

If you like Alt Rock, heaviness, well controlled vocal fry, a fair amount of deep seeded anger and have something to do for an hour that you may or may not be bothered about doing, give the album a listen.

As an aside, I pretty much love every track on the album, but, Closure is by far my favourite. It's a build track. Starting off clean, quiet, calm, and simple but with an underlying and building sense of tension, and it ends, well, less so. For me, the moment that makes the track is at the point of unleashing, there is a single note bass drop, at the same time as shattering glass. If your hardware can accommodate these two played at the same time, you will be treated. (03:50 if you want to know) it sends a shudder every time. I have to now go listen to it again.

Yup, this post was all about me loving an album, and I'm not sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment