Tuesday 8 October 2013

You get me.

I've still not really gotten behind this blog fully yet, and will probably always be a bit sporadic, because;
a) I like to pretend my life is important and busy - (it is neither.) and
b)What I put up I want to be good. I throw out several ideas a week that just don't cut it, or need more work.
That said, this may not be good enough, as I'm distracting myself with Youtube...

Today, I went for a run, when running I, like most listen to music. I like MY sort of music to run to, stuff that pumps me up, I hate running so angry pump is fine by me. So currently my running playlist composes of Atreyu, Enter Shikari, Royal Republic and Zebrahead. There are a select few songs in there that really shift me up a gear. This got me thinking, the last few times I've done any gardening, it's the same deal, headphones in, volume up, rock that mother. AFI, Zebrahead, and Andrew W K. Now the point of this is not shameless name dropping, its about how the right song can set any task off.
If I listen to the first half of Andrew W K's I get Wet album, I will be bouncing like a looney, fist pumping, and generally have more energy than you can shake anything at. It always works.
Listening to AFI's Sing the Sorrow, I'll pretend to scream along to Davy's vocals and get wrapped up in the whole theatre of the album.
It is all about letting your self get immersed into what you are listening to. I know millions of people out there hear music. They think nothing of it. On one of my more sanctimonious days I'd be tempted to say that's because they listen to mass produced pre-manufactured dross. But I'm not going there today.
I like to hear songs that mean something to someone, that can evoke a feeling. Sometimes, just a line will do it. Death of Seasons by AFI does it every time, that last tortured, painful cry, after the music has broken down and there is just atmospheric background, and Davy seemingly a million miles from the mic, wrenching his very soul out, always gets me. (it is helped by having seen it live, on his haunches, doubled over, pouring the pain out.)
I'm a big advocate of just sitting down and listening to something. When I was little, I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs to our old Aiwa HiFi, put in a dance CD, some MASSIVE headphones, it was pitch black, the headphones shrouded me in silence, I selected the "monster mix" of Faithless' Insomnia, and I was transported. I saw some weird things in my head for those minutes, but I was connected. And it's that feeling I strive for, especially as that mix has a massive build to the drop, I had very few hairs back then, but all of them stood up, and the shiver went right to my core. That's what makes it for me. Some songs stir emotion, Flyleaf -Cassie for example, if you know the back story, then watch the acoustic version, what happens when the line "will say yes" comes up? That's the moment for me. If you don't know, go look it up, outline is Oklahoma shooting, faith and religion, and consequences. And finding the rightful subject of the song, apparently Rachel.
Evanescence - My Immortal is a song I will not listen to. The original version with no Hollywood dual guitars over the end. Just Amy Lee, a piano, maybe some strings, and loss. It's a beautiful song.
But, what I want to get you to experience today, is just how a song and video put together right, will just give you that small twinge, like something just happened there. I can't say it's my general genre of music, like MC Frontalot mixed with a eletronica/dance thing, but I like it. I REALLY like it. It is Twenty One Pilots' song Car Radio. Hang on, I'll give you the link, but first, find somewhere and when you won't be distracted for 4 minutes. Find as big a screen as you can, you want to immerse yourself in the video. Sit close, your eyes will take it. Headphones. Good ones, you like music, you will have good headphones. They need bass and treble. Now, listen to the words, maybe pull up a lyric video if you watch a 2nd time, understand the metaphor of the car radio, it's a simple and base as we are. Enjoy these minutes. I sincerely hope the one moment in the song stirs something for you like it does me. It makes me want to do. And it makes me think. Twenty One Pilots - Car Radio. go.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand about needing music to run. Somepeople say they just switch off. Others say they think about their problems and how to solve them. Me? I just get bored so I listen to Airbourne, AC/DC, Aerosmoth, Sum41, Blink 182, anything rocky but with a fast beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you with the boredom factor, a playlist mixed with Zombies Run! helps that. I think all of those are potential candidates for the next playlist.

    ReplyDelete